What's New ~ Articles ~ Stories ~ Archives ~ Photographs ~ Preservation ~ Library ~ Home
Suspension Bridge Niagara Falls
The engineer of this remarkable accomplishment was Prussian born John A. Roebling, CE (1806-1869). Roebling did what had never been done before in spanning such a distance with this type of bridge construction.
Suspension Bridge Facts
Length of span between towers: 800 feet
Suspension bridge was begun in September 1852 and opened on March 18,1855, making it one of the earliest pieces of construction in connection with the new mode of transportation, the railway. The bridge accommodated rail on the top portion and a road beneath. The rail portion was leased to the Great Western for use by their trains and those of the New York Central; and this continued for 42 years before being replaced by the Niagara Railway Steel Arch Bridge in 1897.
New ~ Articles ~ Stories
~ Archives ~ Photographs
~ Preservation ~ Library
Old Time Trains © 2002 2023