Amador Central started out as the Ione and Eastern in 1904 and opened
to Mountain Springs later that year. It was built from the end of the SP Ione branch to serve area mines and other businesses.
Martell was reached in 1905. The line was renamed Amador Central in 1909 and bought by Georgia Pacific Corp. in 1988.
In 1997 the GP mill and the line were sold to Sierra Pacific and the railroad was reopened as the Amador Foothill as of 1999. The last run of which took place June 07, 2004.
December of 2004 saw Sierra Pacific Ind. and SierraPine file to discontinue service over the line. Currently the line has been leased to Recreational Railroad Coalition Inc, a consortium of speeder car owner/operators.
June 16th 2007 saw work begin by the RRCI to restore the Ione wye. Sept/Oct of 2009, SPI pulled up rails between Hwy 88 & Hwy 49. The lease to RRCI ended March 25, 2010. In October of 2010, the line was sold to the Amador County Historical Society and RRCI.