Canada Coach Lines Garages
In addition to Sanford Garage in Hamilton, the Canada Coach Lines had several small garages scattered throughout southern Ontario. These facilities were used for storage, washing and cleaning of buses, and minor maintenance.
Bay Beach - Eastwood Ave
Built in 1945, the Bay Beach garage was only in use from the end of June until early September. It was built to service buses running to Crystal Beach Amusement Park from Hamilton and Buffalo.
Front view of the CCL Bay Beach garage, Summer 1959.
Side view of the CCL Bay Beach garage, Summer 1959.
Galt (Cambridge) - North Square
Canada Coach Lines operated local bus service in Cambridge until the early 1960s. The Galt garage was originally built in 1899 as a roller skating rink.
Rear view of the CCL Galt garage, Summer 1959.
Side view of the CCL Galt garage, Summer 1959.
Front view of the CCL Galt garage, Summer 1959.
Hamilton - 60 Catherine St
This small garage was located on the NE corner of Catherine and Rebecca, across the street from the Rebecca St Bus Terminal. The building was built in the late 1920s, and was bought and remodeled by the CCL in 1956 to provide support for buses at the Bus Terminal. The adjacent storage yard was created by demolishing houses at the same time as the remodeling.
Front view of the CCL Catherine St garage, looking east along Rebecca, Summer 1959.
Rear view of the CCL Catherine St garage, looking west along Rebecca, Summer 1959. In the background is the SE corner of the Rebecca St Bus Terminal.
CCL #111, parked in front of the Catherine St garage, date unknown. (Photo from the Edward Viveiros collection, used with permission.)
Niagara Falls - Park St
Located between Erie and Ontario Avenues, The Niagara Falls Garage was in two parts. The east part of the garage was built in 1924, with the later west part built in 1945.
Front view of the CCL Niagara Falls garage, Summer 1959.
Side view of the CCL Niagara Falls garage, Summer 1959.
Welland - Schofield Ave
This garage consisted of two buildings to handle local service in the Welland area. Both were built by the Erie Coach Lines, a local bus company which the CCL bought on December 10, 1948. The first building was built in 1941, and the second in 1946.
Front view of the CCL Welland garage #1, Summer 1959.
Side view of the CCL Welland garage #1, Summer 1959.
Purnell, Charles E. "Appraisal of Canada Coach Lines Properties" Oct 15, 1959.