TrainWeb.org Facebook Page
 The H&D Dundas Passenger & Freight Stations

The H&D Dundas Passenger & Freight Stations

Originally the Hamilton & Dundas Street Railway (H&D) had no railway station in Dundas, instead using a waiting room located at the rear of the Elgin Hotel, complete with a track spur and platform.

In May of 1885 construction began on a proper station for the H&D at the northwest corner of Hatt & Foundry. The station was a single story L-shaped building, made of brick with an open waiting area on the north end. The interior of the station had a ticket office, general waiting room and ladies waiting room. To avoid blocking the H&D's tracks on Hatt St with waiting passenger trains the station spur behind the Elgin House was torn up and relaid on Foundry St in mid June. H&D personel moved into the station on June 17, and the first train departed from the station on June 30, 1885.

The station was used by the H&D until the line was closed in 1923. It remained vacant until the line was purchased by the Toronto, Hamilton & Buffalo Railway in 1927. The TH&B had no use for the station and it was demolished in May 1929.

Near to the H&D's passenger station was the H&D Dundas freight station, built on the southwest corner of Hatt & McMurray in 1897. Unlike the passenger station this building was used by the TH&B as their Dundas freight Office until the end of 1969. The building was sold and converted into a car wash, and was demolished in the 1980s. For the entire life of the building the roof had coloured shingles that spelled out "H&D Ry Co."

An H&D train at Dundas Station, date unknown

An H&D train at Dundas Station, date unknown. From Canadian Rail, Nov-Dec 1991, pg 199.

H&D #3 at the H&D's Dundas passenger station, date unknown

H&D #3 at the H&D's Dundas passenger station circa 1886.

A closeup of H&D #51

A closeup of H&D #51 and the station behind it.

H&D #20 with steam dummy #4 at the H&D Dundas passenger station, March 17, 1897.

H&D #20 with steam dummy #4 at the H&D Dundas passenger station, March 1897.

HRER 303 at the H&D Dundas station

HRER #303 at the H&D Dundas station. The caption says this is around 1904, but the date should be later based on the car number.

HRER 305 at the H&D Dundas station around 1906.

HRER #305 at the H&D Dundas station around 1906.

HRER #303 at the H&D Dundas station

HRER #303 at the H&D Dundas station, from a postcard postmarked August 18, 1910. (Photo courtesy of Vintage Postcards of Hamilton, used with permission)

HTC #606 at the H&D Dundas station, circa 1917.

HTC #606 at the H&D Dundas station, circa 1917. (From the Dundas Museum & Archives)

Sources

Hamilton Spectator
"Dundas News" May 15, 1885, pg 4
"The Diurnal Epitome" July 1, 1885, pg 4

Hamilton Times
"Dundas" June 9, 1885 pg 3
"Dundas Items" June 16, 1885 pg 3
"Dundas Items" June 18, 1885 pg 3
"The New Station" June 25, 1885 pg 3

Leddy, Kevin R. "Dummies to Diesels: The History of the H&D Branch" The Toronto, Hamilton and Buffalo Railway Company FOCUS Vol 7, No 4 (September 2004), pg 3-27