The Cars of the H&D
Unlike the other three Hamilton area radials, the Hamilton & Dundas operated for many years as a steam powered railway. During these years the H&D had a small fleet of both passenger and freight cars, some of which would continue to be used by the H&D after its electrification and its takeover by the Cataract Company in 1899.
H&D Steam Dummies
Most famously, the H&D operated a small fleet of steam dummies, small steam engines that were surrounded by a wooden shell in the shape of a streetcar. These engines are described in detail in their own article
H&D Freight Cars
The H&D had a few freight cars in use during its early days. Information exists on only two of them, H&D #11 & 15. Both of these freight cars were purchased or built in 1879 from sources unknown, and both of these cars were scrapped in 1892 for reasons unknown. The H&D also had a number of flat cars, of which almost no details (such as number, road numbers, size, manufacturers, dates of service) are known.
Freight operations on the H&D appear to have dropped significantly in the 1890s, most likely due to the panic of 1893. Freight operations declined to the point that the H&D handed over remaining freight operations to the TH&B in 1897, in exchange for an annual fee and payment of half of the annual track maintenance between Dundas and the connection with the TH&B in West Hamilton.
H&D Passenger Cars/Trailers
When the H&D began operations, there were a number of small trailers, both closed and open, that were used for passenger service.
Very little is known about H&D #16 & 18. Both of these cars started out as passenger trailers, but their original builder and dates of construction are unknown. It is known that both were motorized in 1897, but after the takeover by the Cataract Company #18 was apparently retired, while #16 saw very little use before being retired at an unknown date.
H&D #20 was built by the Toronto Railway Company in 1897 as a double trucked trailer, which would later be converted to a self-propelled combine. When the H&D was taken over by the Cataract Company in 1899, #20 was renumbered to #120. It was then renumbered to #220 in 1901 after the takeover of the HRER by the Cataract Company, and was given its final number as #181 as part of the Cataract company‘s system-wide renumbering around 1910. It was scrapped in 1933.
Newly arrived H&D #20 with steam dummy #4 at the H&D Dundas passenger station. Most sources date this photo as March 17, 1897. That may have been the intention when the H&D arranged for this photo to be taken, but several problems occurred during the delivery of H&D #20. It was delivered to the Grand Trunk Railway's Hamilton King St station on the evening of March 15, where it was transferred to the tracks of the H&D using a little used switch between the two lines. On March 16 H&D #20 was towed towards Dundas, but it was found that the car was two inches too tall to pass underneath the TH&B bridge over Aberdeen Ave. Work crews lowered the track profile of the H&D line so that the car could pass underneath the bridge, but the construction and a severe rain storm on March 19 that washed out the H&D line between the two cities meant that it took until March 24 for H&D #20 to finally reach Dundas for the first time.
H&D #22, 24 & 26 were a trio of double trucked open trailers, which were very popular with riders during the summer months. Their original builder and dates of construction are unknown, but it is believed to be Brill. Two of these trailers, H&D #24 & 26, were motorized when the H&D electrified its operations, and these two cars remained in service until 1920, being scrapped in 1925 after the closure of the H&D. The date of H&D #22’s retirement is unknown, but it probably occurred shortly after the Cataract Company takeover.
H&D #51-56 were six ex New York City horse cars, which had been purchased in 1879 for the start of operations. H&D #54 was covered into a freight car in 1888, and all six of these cars were retired in 1898.
An H&D train pulls out of Dundas station circa 1891. The steam dummy is probably H&D #3. Its pulling an H&D boxcar (H&D #11 or #15), a closed passenger car (H&D #16 or #18), and one of the former New York City horse cars (H&D #51-55). (Photo courtesy of the Hamilton Public Library, Local History & Archives, used with permission)
After the takeover of the H&D by the Cataract Company in 1899, several cars remained in service with the H&D. By the time of the systemwide renumbering of 1910, only three cars from the H&D's early days were still around: H&D #24, 26 & 220 (ex #120, #20). As part of the renumbering, the Cataract Company apparently assigned numbers 180-199 to the H&D. H&D 220 was renumbered to 181, but for reasons unknown H&D 24 & 26 were not renumbered. No new cars were ever 'bought' by the H&D after the takeover, and most operations between Hamilton & Dundas were actually carried out by cars from the HRER.