Mount Hamilton Incline Railway/Wentworth Street Incline Railway (East-End Incline)
With the success of the Hamilton and Barton Incline Railway, demand grew for a second incline railway to be built further to the east. Near the head of Wentworth St a spot was found that would require very little cutting or filing of the slope to create an incline railway (unlike the H&B, which ran on an elevated track).
A construction crew of between 20 and 30 men began grading on the site of the Mount Hamilton Incline Railway in October 1894. Contracts for the machinery and cars were issued in December. Poor weather in the spring of 1895 and a landslide on April 21 1895 caused by melting snow delayed the opening of the MHIR by several weeks. The track installation was completed by July 3 and the cables arrived and were installed on July 10. The first test run of the MHIR was made on the evening of August 1. The MHIR opened on August 5, 1895, hauling passengers during the August civic holiday long weekend. After the long weekend, the MHIR did not premit passengers to ride, but did allow wagons with work crews. On August 9 the MHIR had its first accident, when the brake on the downward car did not properly engage, and the heavily loaded car speed downhill at a faster than designed speed. The car hit the bottom with a crash, but there were no reported injuries or damage. On August 26, 1895 the MHIR officially opened to the public, with free rides all day by an estimated 5 000 people.
The MHIR consisted of two 13-ton cars measuring 9.1 x 6.25 m, running on a 218.5 m long track at a 45% grade. The cars carried passengers and wagons, for a maximum load of nine tons, 92 metres up to the top of the escarpment. At the base of the MHIR was a two-storey brick pumping station to transport water up the escarpment for the boilers located at the top. At the top of the incline was the engine and boiler house which held a 150 hp steam engine and 2 2780 litre boilers. Also at the top of the railway housing for the operating engineer and the superintendant.
The original cars were replaced around 1905, the new cars having the shelter for the riders placed on the inner edge of the cars, instead of the outer edge as previously. On May 30 1906, the MHIR was taken over by George Webb, and the company was renamed the Wentworth Street Incline Railway. Regardless of the name change, Hamiltonians continued to refer to the line as 'The East-End Incline.' On November 3, 1913, a heavy storm unleashed a landslide that wrecked the inclined railway and put it out of commission for several months. The company used the downtime to convert the railway from steam to electric operations, reopening the railway in April 1914.
This photo shows the devasted WSIR after the landslide. Photo from the Archives of Ontario, L 23 Newspapers, N 184 reel 193, Hamilton Spectator, Nov 4th 1913, pg 1
In 1929, Mountain Boulevard was constructed from the Sherman Cut to John St, to allow for better traffic access for mountain residents. Work crews dug under the Wentworth railway while cars rumbled by on the tracks overhead, as business was too heavy to shut the line down. Unfortunately, the opening of this new road would cause such a drop in people using the railway that the company went bankrupt in 1936. Attempts by local residents over the next 13 years to get the railway working again were in vain, as the city refused to assume the company’s debts. The railway was dismantled in 1949
As of December 2001, there were only a few pieces of the old railway visible. The pumping station at the base is gone, with only an empty field at the base of the Wentworth Stairs, which are now on the site of the railway. However, the track supports are still there, below Sherman Access. At the top of the railway, an old observation platform is partially there on the east side, along with part of an old railing. The engine and boiler house that was to the east of the railway is completely gone. A historical plaque about the railway is to the west of the railway at the top of the hill.
Janet Forjan-Freedman has a large number of postcards of the East-End Incline Railway on her website
The Wentworth Stairs on the site of the inclined railway. Notice the old support bases in the foreground centre. December 19, 2001
The view from Mountain Boulevard, halfway up the incline. December 19, 2001
The view from the top of the mountain. This is what a passenger would have seen from the car, just before descending down the hillside. December 19, 2001
A ticket for the East-End Incline Railway. George Webb is listed as the company president, so it's from sometime after 1906.
A letterhead for the Wentworth Incline Railway. It's after 1906, and look at the phone number, only 5 digits: GArfield(42)-341.
The East-End Incline, as seen from Wentworth St. HSR #22 is in the foreground heading towards the downtown core on the WENTWORTH route. The earliest postmark found for this card is 1907.
Undated stereoscopic card of the East End Incline.
The Wentworth Street Incline Railway. The earliest postmark found for this card is June 2, 1913
The East-End Incline in action, around 1910. (Photo courtesy of the Hamilton Public Library, Local History & Archives, used with permission)
The East-End Incline in action, sometime in the 1920s. Note the automobile being transported.
A time-lapse night shot of the East-End Incline sometime in the 1920s. (Photo courtesy of the Hamilton Public Library, Local History & Archives, used with permission)
A close-up of one of the Mount Hamilton Incline cars circa 1908. Note the horse-drawn wagons on the car. From an unused postcard.
A Mount Hamilton Incline Car reaches the top. This photo appears in the article in the September 15 1895 Street Railway Review linked in the Sources section below, and so must have been taken on opening day, August 5, 1895. The earliest postmark found for this card is July 23, 1907.
A postcard of both Incline Railways, copyright 1902. The earliest postmark found for this card is December 18, 1903.
A loaded car climbs the mountain, circa 1899. (Photo courtesy of the Hamilton Public Library, Local History & Archives, used with permission)
Nearing the top of the East-End Incline, circa 1899. In the background are the engine and boiler house, and the residences. (Photo courtesy of the Hamilton Public Library, Local History & Archives, used with permission)
Nearing the top of the East-End Incline. No date, but since the shelter for the car is on the inner side then it must be after 1905.
Nearing the top of the East-End Incline, circa 1910.
These are the old gates at the top of the East-End Incline, on March 6 1954. The gates and fencing were left behind for safety reasons when the East-End Incline was dismantled in 1949. (Photo courtesy of the Hamilton Public Library, Local History & Archives, used with permission)
The second powerhouse for the East-End Incline, built when the line convered to electric operations. This powerhouse was located on the south side of Mountain Park Ave, directly across from the top of the East-End Incline. This photo was taken on March 6 1954, shortly before the building was torn down and replaced by the apartment building named 'Incline Place'. Surprisingly, the fence on the left is still there today.(Photo courtesy of the Hamilton Public Library, Local History & Archives, used with permission)
"East End Incline Ry., Hamilton" Canadian Railway and Marine World December 1913: pg 578
Fensom, John. "The Mount Hamilton Incline Railroad at Hamilton, Ont." Street Railway Review September 15 1895: pg 631-633
Mills, John M. Cataract Traction; The Railways of Hamilton. Toronto: Upper Canada Railway Society/Ontario Electric Railway Historical Association, 1971
"The New Incline Railway at Hamilton, Ont." Street Railway Review February 15 1895: pg 94