TrainWeb.org Facebook Page
 Preston Car & Coach Company DEDT Streetcars (HSR #429-457, odd numbers only)

Preston Car & Coach Company DEDT Streetcars (HSR #429-457, odd numbers only)

15 Double-End, Double Truck cars were built by the Preston Car Company in 1912 for the HSR. These cars were originally constructed with two-man operation, but cars 431 and 447-457 were rebuilt to one-man operation in 1929. These 7 rebuilt cars lasted until the late 1940s, while the other 8 were scrapped in the late 1930s.

Specifications

Length 43 ft, 0 in
Width 8 ft, 4.5 in
Height 11 ft, 10 in
Trucks Brill 27G1
Motors 4 GE 1000
Weight 49 500 lbs
Seating 40

Some of the dates for these photos are unknown, and the locations are often just a guess. If you know either date or location, email me!

(All photos © Tom Luton, except where noted)

HSR 429 sometime the summer of 1912 or 1913,

HSR 429 sometime in the summer of 1912 or 1913, location unknown. (From Vintage Postcards of Hamilton, used with permission)

HSR 429 in the Sanford Yard, Feb 19, 1938.

HSR 429 in the Sanford Yard, Feb 19, 1938. (From the Richard Vincent collection, used with permission)

HSR 431 in the Sanford yard, date unknown

HSR 431 in the Sanford yard, date unknown Car 431 has a different roof than the other Preston Cars, making it look very similar to the Ottawa cars built at the same time. When this new roof was installed is unknown, but it was probably done during its rebuilding into one-man operation in 1929. (From Dave’s Electric Railroads.)

HSR 431 in the Sanford yard, date unknown

HSR 431 in the Sanford yard, date unknown (Photo courtesy of the Hamilton Public Library, Local History & Archives, used with permission)

HSR 441 alongside Cootes Drive at East St in Dundas

HSR 441 alongside Cootes Drive at East St in Dundas, having been literally put out to pasture. The date is uncertain, but as this car is still on rollers its then probably summer of 1932 or 1933. Several old streetcars became cabins in this area, but they were all destroyed in the early 1950s when a severe storm flooded Spencer Creek. (From Dave’s Electric Railroads.)

Another shot of HSR 441 alongside Cootes Drive at East St in 1947

Another shot of HSR 441 alongside Cootes Drive at East St in 1947. The rollers have been removed and some of the windows have been replaced with wood panels, so someone has been working on the old car. (From the Richard Vincent collection, used with permission)

HSR 451 at King and James, date unknown

HSR 451 at King and James, date unknown (Photo courtesy of the Hamilton Public Library, Local History & Archives, used with permission)

HSR 455 sometime in the summer of 1912 or 1913, location unknown.

HSR 455 sometime in the summer of 1912 or 1913, location unknown. (Photo courtesy of the Hamilton Public Library, Local History & Archives, used with permission)

HSR 455 on James St South near Jackson St

HSR 455 on James St South near Jackson St, 1943. (From the Richard Vincent collection, used with permission)

HSR 455 at Sanford Yard

HSR 455 at Sanford Yard, date unknown. (From the Stephen M. Scalzo collection, used with permission)

HSR 455 at Sanford Yard

HSR 455 at Sanford Yard, date unknown. (From the Stephen M. Scalzo collection, used with permission)

HSR 457 at Sanford Yard, July 18 1949

HSR 457 at Sanford Yard, July 18 1949.

An unknown Preston DT car

An unknown Preston DT car (possibly 441) at Sanford yard. (From Dave’s Electric Railroads.)

Sources

"Electric Railway Notes" Canadian Railway and Marine World May 1913: pg 239

Mills, John M. Cataract Traction; The Railways of Hamilton. Toronto: Upper Canada Railway Society/Ontario Electric Railway Historical Association, 1971