TrainWeb.org Facebook Page
 Canadian Car & Foundry T-48 (HSR #701-718) and T-48A (HSR #721-750)

Canadian Car & Foundry T-48 (HSR #701-718) and T-48A (HSR #721-750)

The T-48 was the first type of trolley bus used by the HSR. HSR 701 was delivered by rail on April 17, 1950 and was put on public display at the Hamilton Industrial fair at the James St Armouries between April 26 and 29. The remaining T48s were delivered that fall, and replaced diesel buses on the Cannon route on December 10, 1950.

The closely related T-48A was purchased for the King and Barton routes, which were former streetcar lines. After the streetcars were removed in April 1951, diesel buses handled operations until the new wires and vehicles were ready in October 1951.

All of the T-48s were retired by the end of 1974, replaced by the first batch of E700As. The HSR had originally decided to retire all of the T-48As after the arrival of the second batch of E700As in 1974, but decided to keep 9 on the active roster (HSR 727, 728, 730, 732, 735, 745, 747, 748 and 750). These buses were repainted into the yellow and black ‘Ticat’ scheme in 1974-75, and were finally retired in 1979.

The electrical equipment from the retired buses was salvaged, rebuilt, and installed into the E700As when they were rebuilt in 1982. Two T-48A's were not scrapped at the end of their service with the HSR. HSR #732 survives at the Halton County Radial Railway, while #739 was sold to a private owner, and spent several years in a field near Hwy 2 approximately 2 km west of Cardinal in eastern Ontario, before being scrapped in July 1995.

Tom's North American Trolley Bus Pictures has a large number of HSR trolley bus pictures, well worth a look.

Some of the dates for these photos are unknown, and the locations are often just a guess. If you know either date or location, email me!

(All photos © Tom Luton, except where noted)

HSR #701 at Wilson & Sanford, May 1972.

HSR #701 at Wilson & Sanford, May 1972. (Photo by Mitchell Libby, used with permission.)

HSR #701 on Strathearne north of Roxborough, May 1972.

HSR #701 on Strathearne north of Roxborough, May 1972. (Photo by Mitchell Libby, used with permission.)

HSR 702 at Hughson & Gore, August 12, 1970.

HSR #702 at Hughson & Gore, August 12, 1970. (By Joseph Testagrose, used with permission)

HSR #702 on Barton east of Kenilworth, May 1972.

HSR #702 on Barton east of Kenilworth, May 1972. (Photo by Mitchell Libby, used with permission.)

HSR #703 at the Queenston Traffic Circle, May 1972

HSR #703 at the Queenston Traffic Circle, May 1972. (Photo by Mitchell Libby, used with permission.)

HSR 703 and 712 rest in Sanford Yard

HSR #703 and #712 rest in Sanford Yard, date unknown (From Dave’s Electric Railroads.)

HSR #705 at Beland & Dunsmure, May 1971.

HSR #705 at Beland & Dunsmure, May 1971. (Photo by Mitchell Libby, used with permission.)

HSR 712 on King St E. at West Ave

HSR #712 on King St E. at West Ave in May 1969, along with HSR #305. (Photo by Mike Harrington, used with permission)

HSR 714 on the Barton Route

HSR #714 on the Barton Route, date unknown (From Dave’s Electric Railroads.)

HSR 717 at Sanford yard in May 1969

HSR #717 at Sanford yard in May 1969, along with HSR 462. (Photo by Mike Harrington, used with permission)

HSR #722 on Hughson north of King, May 1972.

HSR #722 on Hughson north of King, May 1972. (Photo by Mitchell Libby, used with permission.)

HSR 722 on Main St East, between Glendale and King, January 7, 1973

HSR #722 on Main St East, between Glendale and King, January 7, 1973 (Photo by John Sutherland, used with permission)

HSR 727 passing a church at Main and Edgemont

HSR #727 passing a church at Main and Edgemont (From Dave’s Electric Railroads.)

HSR 728 on the King Route

HSR #728 on the King Route, date unknown (From the Nightbus collection, used with permission)

HSR #729 at Main & MacNab, May 1972.

HSR #729 at Main & MacNab, May 1972. (Photo by Mitchell Libby, used with permission.)

HSR #730 at Reid & Lang, May 1974.

HSR #730 at Reid & Lang, May 1974. (Photo by Mitchell Libby, used with permission.)

HSR 732 at King St W and Charles

HSR #732 at King St W and Charles, date unknown (From Dave’s Electric Railroads.)

HSR 732 on display at the Halton Radial Railway Museum

HSR #732 on display at the Halton Radial Railway Museum, August 25, 2002. 732 was one of the few T-48As repainted in the 1970s into the Ticat scheme.

HSR #733 at Main & MacNab, May 1972.

HSR #733 at Main & MacNab, May 1972. (Photo by Mitchell Libby, used with permission.)

HSR 738, eastbound on Barton near Ferguson, date unknown

HSR #738, eastbound on Barton near Ferguson, date unknown (From Dave’s Electric Railroads.)

HSR 742 at James & York St in September 1963

HSR #742 at James & York St in September 1963. The empty space behind the bus is the site of the old Hamilton city hall, demolished in 1961. Everything else in this photo was torn down by the end of the 1960s to make way for Jackson Square. (Photo from the Ed Viveiros collection, used with permission.)

HSR #742 on Hughson north of King, May 1971.

HSR #742 on Hughson north of King, May 1971. (Photo by Mitchell Libby, used with permission.)

HSR #745 at Melvin & Parkdale, date unknown.

HSR #745 at Melvin & Parkdale, date unknown. (Photo by Mitchell Libby, used with permission.)

HSR #747 at Roxborough & Strathearne, May 1974.

HSR #747 at Roxborough & Strathearne, May 1974. (Photo by Mitchell Libby, used with permission.)

HSR 748, eastbound on Main near the Queenston Traffic Circle, date unknown

HSR #748, eastbound on Main near the Queenston Traffic Circle, date unknown (From Dave’s Electric Railroads.)

HSR #749 at Hughson & Wilson, May 1972.

HSR #749 at Hughson & Wilson, May 1972. (Photo by Mitchell Libby, used with permission.)

HSR 750 at Hughson and King in Sept 1972

HSR #750 at Hughson and King in Sept 1972, along with HSR 669. (Photo by Mike Harrington, used with permission)

HSR 750 on King St, west of Catherine

HSR #750 on King St, west of Catherine (Photo from the Ed Viveiros collection, used with permission.)