TrainWeb.org Facebook Page
 The West King & Steamboat Wharf route

The West King & Steamboat Wharf route

Start of service: May 17, 1893
End of service: March 5, 1895
Route: Guise loop at Guise & John to King & Locke
Antecessor routes: The James North & King West route

May 17, 1893
The James North & King West route was extended onto the new tracks on King, Margaret, Main and Locke as far as to the corner of Locke & Herkimer. The route was renamed the West King & Steamboat Wharf route. It retained the unofficial name of the Red route.

March 5, 1895
The West King & Steamboat Wharf route was extended to form a one-way counter-clockwise loop via King, Margaret, Main, Locke, Herkimer and James, and the name was changed back to The James North & King West route Service in the other direction of this large loop was provided by the Barton, James & Herkimer route

Sources

Hamilton Spectator

“Street Railway Extension - Progress of the Work in Various Parts of the City-Over 400 Men Employed” May 12 1893, pg 8
“Hamilton Street Railway Schedule” May 23 1893, pg 7
“Changes in Street Car Routes” Mar 5 1895, pg 1

"The Dominion Power and Transmission Co.'s Railway System" Canadian Railway and Marine World June 1913: pg 281-284

Mills, John M. Cataract Traction; The Railways of Hamilton. Toronto: Upper Canada Railway Society/Ontario Electric Railway Historical Association, 1971