HX Tower (distance) was ideally positioned to witness the Fair of the Iron
Horse, B&O's centennial celebration in 1927-1928. After the Fair, the B&O
kept the old equipment at this
site within the "Hall of Transportation" until a storm on August 13, 1935
destroyed that building and about half the collection. The B&O moved
the surviving equipment to Bailey's Roundhouse in Baltimore, and then
to the current Museum site in 1953.
Ironically, Halethorpe was also the site in 1910 of the region's first air
show, the transport technology that would supplant rail as the top
choice for long distance passenger travel.
Note the stone arch bridge in the distance... approximately 1950 it was
either replaced, or filled in and a new bridge built adjacent to allow
Halethorpe Farms Road under the tracks.
1910 Air Show