Canadian Pacific Railway
Extra 5368 West on Sixteen Mile Creek bridge Oakville.
Extra 5375 West passing a small CNR commuter stop shelter
at Dixie Road.
Hamilton Subdivision trains operated over a Joint Section of Canadian National trackage (Oakville Subdivision) between Bathurst Street, Mileage 1.1 in Toronto and Hamilton Junction, Mileage 37.3 where a connecting track 1.48 miles long to reach TH&B's Garth Street yard was built. This construction took about a year with through passenger service to Buffalo commencing May 30, 1897.
These trackage rights were granted to the CPR May 13, 1896
(effective May 30, 1897) by CNR predecessor Grand Trunk Railway following
efforts by the CPR to establish its own track between Hamilton and Toronto.
Run through engines and crews came about later when additional agreements were signed. One on October 13,1905 provided for Michigan Central and Toronto, Hamilton and Buffalo engines and crews (when qualified) to operate between Hamilton and Buffalo instead of changing at Welland. A further agreement effective November 1, 1912 included CPR engines and crews based out of Toronto to likewise run through to Buffalo.
P2 class engine westbound to Aberdeen Yard approaching
Bayview. August 4, 1956
Three RS-18's and an SW1200RS heading towards the Hamilton Jct. switch leading to Aberdeen Yard.
Starlite with TH&B 72-401-73 westbound near Oakville, June 10,1977. Fred Clark
Randy Masales Collection courtesy of Brian Switzer
Bruce Division (District 3) crews manned
a pool to cover freight trains between Lambton (later Toronto Yard) and TH&B
Aberdeen and Kinnear yards in Hamilton. They were entitled to two jobs working
Obico and the cut off down to Canpa. These were road jobs, paid yard rates and
were sought after assignments due to long hours and high pay. They were renamed
Industrial Yards in later years. e.g. Obico Industrial Yard etc. Beyond Canpa
was handled by the Ham Way Freight assignment.
CPR, TH&B and NYC/PC power operated on freight and passenger trains over the Hamilton Subdivision using CPR crews, between Toronto and Hamilton. Varying arrangements were used over the years.
Way Freight Gallery by Bob Shaw
Extra 851 West the Ham WF (Hamilton Way Freight) Port
D10 874 facing east with the Ham WF is sitting on the east
leg of the CNR Beach Sub. wye having gone around the west leg and possibly
switching Hercules Powder, now having lunch! The CNR Beach Sub. which
ran along the strip of land separating Hamilton Harbour and Lake Ontario
began life as the Hamilton & North Western heading north to Georgetown,
Tottenham, Allandale, Collingwood and finally Meaford. Building is Tinnings
general store one of three similar buildings with a railway-style bay
window. The photographer is on Brant Street on the south side of the CNR
Oakville Sub. Bruce Mercer
Across the Border
73 trails 401 and 7x most likely the Kinnear. Penn Central Frontier Yard June 16, 1975 Bob Krone
On to: Port McNicoll Subdivision
Back to: Mactier Subdivision
Back to: CPR Bruce Index