The Aberdeen-King West route
Start of service: Jun 3 1939
On June 3, 1939 The York & Aberdeen and the York & King West routes were merged to form the Aberdeen-King West route. Running from Longwood loop at Longwood & Aberdeen to the Gore St turnback via Aberdeen, Queen, Herkimer and James, and returning via James, King, Margaret, Main, Locke, Herkimer, Queen and Aberdeen. (The Gore St turnback was used because the HSR never installed a switch at King & James that would allow streetcars to turn from King West onto James South.)
On May 12, 1941 the Aberdeen-King West route was discontinued, and all streetcar service on Margaret, Main, Locke, Herkimer, Queen, Aberdeen and James South was abandoned. However, a wartime repreive would see the return of streetcars to James South, Herkimer, Queen and Aberdeen in the form of the restarted York & Aberdeen route.
HSR #411 at Queen and Aberdeen in Spring 1941. On the left is the former right of way of the The Brantford & Hamilton Electric Railway (B&H) (Photo courtesy of Library and Archives Canada, used with permission)
Mills, John M. Cataract Traction; The Railways of Hamilton. Toronto: Upper Canada Railway Society/Ontario Electric Railway Historical Association, 1971