The Aberdeen-Stuart route
Start of service: 1923
On September 5, 1923 the The Hamilton & Dundas Street Railway closed down. Shortly after, the HSR took over the tracks of the H&D on Aberdeen east of Longwood, and on Queen between Aberdeen and Herkimer (The H&D had used HSR tracks on Herkimer and James to reach its various downtown Hamilton stations). The Aberdeen-Stuart route was created to run from Aberdeen & Longwood to the second Stuart Street Station at Stuart & Caroline via Aberdeen, Queen, Herkimer, James and Stuart.
In 1927, Longwood loop was constructed on the northwest corner of Aberdeen and Longwood, and the Aberdeen-Stuart route was extended to it.
With the closing of the CNR station in 1930, all service on Stuart St was discontinued. The Aberdeen-Stuart route was discontinued, with Aberdeen service now handled by the York & Aberdeen route.
HSR #403 at James and Main, heading south on the Aberdeen-Stuart route in 1928. (Photographer unknown)
Mills, John M. Cataract Traction; The Railways of Hamilton. Toronto: Upper Canada Railway Society/Ontario Electric Railway Historical Association, 1971