GWR/GTR Station and King Street East Route
Start of service: 1878?
End of service: July 11, 1887
Route: From Stuart & Bay (Although the Great Western Railway station at Stuart & Caroline was the advertised terminus) to King &
Burlington (today's Sanford) via Stuart, James and King St East.
Antecessor route: The Green Route
The GWR Station and King Street East Route ran from from Stuart & Bay to King & Wentworth via Stuart, James and King St East. However, the HSR depicted the nearby Great Western Railway (GWR)
station as the Stuart terminus. Because of the colour of the horsecars assigned to the route, it was informally called the Green route.
With the takeover of the Great Western Railway (GWR) by the Grand Trunk Railway (GTR), the GWR Station and King Street East Route is renamed the GTR Station and King Street East Route
July 11, 1887
GTR Station and King Street East Route route is renamed the Green Route, no change in route.
"Traveller's Guide" November 18, 1879, pg 3
"Traveller's Guide" July 11, 1887, pg 3
Mills, John M. Cataract Traction; The Railways of Hamilton. Toronto: Upper Canada Railway Society/Ontario Electric Railway Historical Association, 1971