TrainWeb.org Facebook Page
 Ottawa Car Company DEDT Streetcars (HSR #409-425, odd numbers only)

Ottawa Car Company DEDT Streetcars (HSR #409-425, odd numbers only)

Built in 1910 by the Ottawa Car Company, these 9 cars served the city of Hamilton for almost 40 years. These were the first streetcars built to the PAYE (Pay As You Enter) configuration on the HSR (4 existing HSR cars had been already rebuilt). The first of the Ottawa DEDT cars were to have arrived in April 1910, but delays at the Ottawa Car Company plant delayed them until the beginning of July, when they entered service on the KING EAST-BARTON route. Originally built for two-man operation, cars 409-421 were rebuilt to one-man operation in the 1930s. The unconverted cars were scrapped in 1932, but the 7 rebuilt cars lasted until the end of the 1940s.

Specifications

Length 43 ft, 11.5 in
Width 8 ft, 6 in
Height 11 ft, 0.5 in
Trucks Brill 27G
Motors GE 1000
Weight 49 640 lbs
Seating 40

Some of the dates for these photos are unknown, and the locations are often just a guess. If you know either date or location, email me!

(All photos © Tom Luton, except where noted)

HSR 409 is on the Ottawa St spur north of Barton, next to the Jockey Club, date unknown.

HSR 409 is on the Ottawa St spur north of Barton, next to the Jockey Club, date unknown.

HSR 409 loads passengers at Gore Park

HSR 409 loads passengers at Gore Park on the Belt Line route, with HSR 407 on the left. Judging by the streetcar and the buildings in the background, this photo is circa 1920. (Anyone see any clues as to exactly when the photo was taken?) (Photo courtesy of the Hamilton Public Library, Local History & Archives)

HSR 409 on York St

HSR 409 on York St beside Harvey Park, Feb 19, 1938. This type of shot would soon be a memory, as the tracks on York St would be torn up in 1939. (Photographer unknown)

Streetcars blocked by military parade, March 18 1916.

On March 18, 1916 a large military parade was held in Downtown Hamilton. This parade blocked streetcar traffic, resulting in delays. In the background of this photo are streetcars waiting for the parade to clear. From left to right are HSR 418, 411, 420, and another Ottawa-built streetcar. (Photo courtesy of the Hamilton Public Library, Local History & Archives, used with permission)

HSR 413 in the Sanford Yard.

HSR 413 in the Sanford Yard. (From Dave’s Electric Railroads.)

HSR 413 on Aberdeen at Queen, in 1943.

HSR 413 on Aberdeen at Queen, in 1943. (From the Richard Vincent collection, used with permission)

HSR 413 on the Burlington ROW at Ottawa

HSR 413 on the Burlington ROW at Ottawa, date unknown. (From the Stephen M. Scalzo collection, used with permission)

HSR 413 at Sanford Yard

HSR 413 at Sanford Yard, date unknown. (From the Stephen M. Scalzo collection, used with permission)

HSR 413 at Sanford Yard

HSR 413 at Sanford Yard, date unknown. (From the Stephen M. Scalzo collection, used with permission)

HSR 417 at Sanford Yard

HSR 417 at Sanford Yard, date unknown. (From the Stephen M. Scalzo collection, used with permission)

HSR 417, location unknown, circa 1912

HSR 417 at an unknown location, circa 1912. The side rollsign reads 'KING E. & BARTON', so this predates the opening of the Beltline in 1913. (Photo courtesy of the Hamilton Public Library, Local History & Archives)

HSR 419 in the Sanford Yard.

HSR 419 in the Sanford yard, date unknown. Behind it is a pair of the HSR’s sweepers. (From Dave’s Electric Railroads.)

HSR 421, At James and York, 1938.

HSR 421, at James and York, 1938. 421 was in service as late as February of 1950, one of the last Ottawa DEDTs. (Photographer unknown)

HSR 423 in the Sanford Yard.

HSR 423, along with HSR 407 and HG&B 156 at Sanford yard. (From the Richard Vincent collection, used with permission)