The Cars of the B&H
Unlike the other radials owned by the Cataract Company, the Brantford & Hamilton Electric Railway (B&H) did not have a previous life of independent operations. From the day it opened the line was under the control of the Cataract Company, and as a result the records of its fleet of cars are in much better shape than the other radials. So it is a little disappointing that for its entire life the B&H only had a total of seven cars under its own name.
The Brill/Kuhlman Cars
When the B&H began operations on December 21, 1907 it had six radial cars. These cars had been ordered from Brill in the United States on April 29 1907, but were actually built by Kuhlman, one of Brill's subsidiary companies. Measuring 57'0" x 9'0.5" x 13'0", they were numbered starting at #310 and increasing in increments of 5. When the Cataract company undertook a systemwide renumbering of all its streetcars and radials around 1910, B&H cars were renumbered into the 200s simply by changing the first digit. B&H 210 was destroyed on March 17, 1923 when a sagging power line under the Canadian National Railway overpass in Cainsville brushed the heater’s exhaust pipe, creating a short circuit and setting the car on fire. The remaining 5 cars were scrapped in 1933.
B&H 210 & 220 at the B&H/LE&N Brantford Station in 1920. (Photographer unknown)
The remains of B&H 210 after the fire at Cainsville. HG&B 171 has towed the remains back to the Sanford Yard, where the intact trucks will be salvaged for the construction of B&H 240. (From the Richard Vincent collection, used with permission)
B&H 315 at the Ancaster stop, circa 1909. (From the Ross Gray collection, used with permission)
B&H 230 at Hamilton Terminal Station, summer 1928. (Photographer unknown)
B&H 235 with HTC 605 at Hamilton Terminal Station, summer 1928. (Photographer unknown)
Brantford & Hamilton #240
In 1923 the Cataract Company built a new radial car, using bits and pieces out of pre-existing radial cars that had been retired or damaged. Cars known to have contributed parts are:
Numbered #240, the car was scrapped in 1933.
B&H 240 at Hamilton Terminal Station, summer 1928. (Photographer unknown)
Mills, John M. Cataract Traction; The Railways of Hamilton. Toronto: Upper Canada Railway Society/Ontario Electric Railway Historical Association, 1971