The Cars of the HTC
In addition to the existing radial railways, the Cataract Company created the Hamilton Terminal Company (HTC) to operate the Hamilton Terminal Station, handle most track maintenance on the Cataract system, and to be the official owner of most new radial cars bought by the Cataract Company.
The HTC operated several different pieces of track maintenance equipment over its lifespan. Most of the equipment was numbered in the 130-149 range, with exceptions.
HTC dump motor 146 at Sanford Yard, circa 1921. Like a self-propelled hopper car, dump motors were used to transport gravel for line reconstruction, and dump their loads where needed. (From the Richard Vincent collection, used with permission)
HTC 147, July 1920, place unknown. (Photographer unknown)
Former HTC 147, now Canada Crushed Stone 14, in 1947. The Canada Crushed Stone Company hauled stone from its quarry in Flamborough Township to its rock crusher next to the CN mainline near Dundas using electric cars. When the Hamilton radials went out of business, the CCS bought several of the work cars for use on its electric line. Compared to the previous photo, HTC 147 became CCS 14 with the replacement of its three smaller containers with one large flatbed, and a pantograph on top of the cab has replaced the electric trolley pole in the middle of the car. (From the Richard Vincent collection, used with permission)
HTC 149 at Sanford yard, date unknown. (Photographer unknown)
HTC 149 at Sanford yard, March 1923. (From the Richard Vincent collection, used with permission)
HSR 149 (ex HTC) at Sanford yard, April 10, 1938. After the end of the Hamilton Terminal Company, HTC 149 became HSR 149, acting as a work car for the streetcar system, until its retirement in 1948. (From the Richard Vincent collection, used with permission)
HTC 149 waits as a Laconia DEDT streetcar enters Sanford yard, date unknown. (Photographer unknown)
The 1910 Preston Cars
In 1910 the HTC received three interurban cars from the Preston Car & Coach Company of Preston, Ontario. These cars were examples of the type of car unofficially called Preston Prairies, so named for the large arched windows along the sides that were favoured among transit companies on the Canadian Prairies.
HTC #601 has derailed on the HG&B at Maplewood and Prospect in Hamilton during the 1920s. (Photo courtesy of the Hamilton Public Library, Local History & Archives, used with permission)
The 1913 Preston Cars
In 1913 the HTC received six more Preston Prairie type interurban cars from the Preston Car & Coach Company of Preston, Ontario. HTC 603 was destroyed in the Beamsville Car barn fire on December 29, 1919. All the others were scrapped or sold in 1933.
HTC 603 is towed back to the Sanford yard after being damaged in a collision during the 1910s. (From the Richard Vincent collection, used with permission)
HTC 605 and B&H 235 at the Hamilton Terminal Station, 1928. (Photographer unknown)
Close up of HTC 605 and B&H 235 at the Hamilton Terminal Station, 1928. (Photographer unknown)
HTC 608 & 609 at the Hamilton Terminal Station, date unknown. (Photographer unknown)
The Jewett Cars
These three cars were part of a set of eight built by the Jewett company for the Cincinnati & Columbus Traction Company of Ohio in 1905. While part of the C&C they were numbered in the 2-16 range, even numbers only. However their exact former identities have been lost, and records from their previous owner are unclear as they are able to account for 9 out of the 8 cars (no, that's not a typo).
The Cataract Company purchased the cars in 1920 and they were rebuilt by Preston. #610 and #611 were outfitted with Tomlinson couplers salvaged from Toronto Suburban Railway #102 and 103, which had been destroyed in a fire at the Preston works on January 7, 1917. These couplers allowed #610 and #611 to be coupled together and operated as a single train with only one driver, known as Multiple-Unit or MU operation. All three cars were scrapped or sold in 1932.
HTC 609 at the Sanford yard, circa 1921. (From the Richard Vincent collection, used with permission)
The soon to be HTC 610 or 611 at the Sanford Shops in 1920. (From the Richard Vincent collection, used with permission)
HTC 610 at the Hamilton Terminal Station, 1927. (Photographer unknown)
HTC 610 at the Canada Crushed Stone Company near Dundas sometime in the 1930s. (Photographer unknown)
The Freight Motors
The HTC also owned three Freight motors, used for hauling freight or towing boxcars. Each freight motor was unique in size, builder, and date of arrival.
HTC 676 at the Hamilton Terminal Station, date unknown. (From the Richard Vincent collection, used with permission)
HTC 677 at the Hamilton Terminal Station, circa 1920. (From the Richard Vincent collection, used with permission)
A clip of HTC 675 has been found online, inside a short 1920 film on fruit picking in the Niagara Peninsula called 'Where Nature Smiles.' It can't be linked to directly, but here's how to find it:
The clip shows HTC #675 hauling one of the Hamilton Radial's flat cars, HRER #393-398. These cars were originally ordinary flat cars, and had sides installed and a beam mounted at the top of the car running lengthwise, so that a tarp could be placed over the cargo like a tent.
Bailey, William and Parker, Douglas. Streetcar Builders of Canada, Volume One. Montreal: The Canadian Railroad Historical Association, 2002
Mills, John M. Cataract Traction; The Railways of Hamilton. Toronto: Upper Canada Railway Society/Ontario Electric Railway Historical Association, 1971