TrainWeb.org Facebook Page
 The GTR & James South route

The GTR & James South route

Start of service: Circa 1900
End of service: 1913
Route: Grand Trunk Railway Station at Stuart & Caroline to King & James via Stuart & James North, then forming one-way clockwise loop via James, Herkimer, Locke, Main, Margaret and King.
Antecessor routes: Barton, James & Herkimer Route, East King & Stuart Route

Around 1900, the GTR & James South route was created to form a one-way clockwise loop via James, Herkimer, Locke, Main, Margaret and King, then reaching the Grand Trunk Railway Station at Stuart & Caroline via James North and Stuart. Service in the other direction of the Herkimer-Locke-King-James loop was provided by the James North & King West route

The GTR & James South route lasted until 1913, when the opening of streetcar service along Burlington St resulted in the creation of the Burlington-James South route. The only portion of the former GTR & James South route not travelled by the Burlington-James South route was Stuart street, which would become part of the Wentworth-Stuart route

HSR 39 on Stuart St, circa 1900.

HSR 39 at Stuart St & Caroline circa 1900. (Photo courtesy of the Hamilton Public Library, Local History & Archives)

HSR 62 on Stuart St, circa 1900.

HSR 62 at Stuart St & Caroline, circa 1900. (The building on the right is the west end of the Grand Trunk Railway's Stuart St station). (Photo courtesy of the Hamilton Public Library, Local History & Archives)

HSR 106 on James St South near Young, 1912

HSR 106 heading south on James St South near Young on the 'GTR & James South' route in 1912. (Photo courtesy of the Hamilton Public Library, Local History & Archives, used with permission)

Sources

"The Dominion Power and Transmission Co.'s Railway System" Canadian Railway and Marine World June 1913: pg 281-284

Mills, John M. Cataract Traction; The Railways of Hamilton. Toronto: Upper Canada Railway Society/Ontario Electric Railway Historical Association, 1971